It was a miracle that we survived. Disney World is not for the faint of heart. Massive amount of people, 12+ hours of walking over 7 days, navigating rides and dodging nap time for all of us. How we all survived that week can only be explained as an actual miracle. It was the last family vacation our family of four would ever take together.
When discussing potential ‘bucket list’ trips, Daryn and I narrowed it down to Hawaii and Disney World and without hesitation Daryn chose Disney World. As excited as I was about his choice I felt the intense weight and responsibility of navigating Disney with two young kids and a very ill husband. Disney World under normal circumstances is a lot but the trip was every bit magical (and exhausting) that I could have ever imagined and I’m so grateful we got to experience this together. On that trip, to my great shock and surprise, my anxiety was low, Daryn’s health miraculously maintained and the kids attitudes were perfect. We traveled home from Disney on Daryn’s birthday that year and little did we know that two months later exactly Daryn would leave his earthly home and upgrade it for a Heavenly one.
In honor of Daryn’s 35th birthday yesterday I wanted to share these reflections he wrote on his last birthday. They carried such depth and wisdom then and move me even more today. I pray you take in these words but most importantly, are moved into action by these reflections.
33rd Birthday Reflections:
- Travel. Take in new experiences in new places with those you love most. It’s one of the best investments of both our time and money.’
- All things come to pass. Great, amazing things do indeed come to an end. Soak them up while they’re here. Challenging adversities, obstacles, trials, & tribulations also eventually come to an end. While they’re here, learn from them and allow them to refine you into someone better.
- Seek eternal joy above all earthly things.
Joy that transcends all circumstances.
Joy that can only come through a personal relationship with Jesus. Once you experience it, you’ll find it to be more precious than anything else you’ve ever had or experienced in your life. Continue to seek it with all your heart.
- Take time to rest. You’ll be more productive and create more results in less time and effort this way.
- Love with all you got. Be gentle with those you love the most.
- Be exceptionally kind, caring, and others focused. This will make you immediately stand out as a high standard person.